Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sunset Crater Confidential

Sunset Crater National Monument in the
Coconino National Forest just outside of Flagstaff, AZ
(Click image to enlarge)

As we're in the area where Maya grew up, today we went to Sunset Crater National Monument and the Wupatki Pueblos. Sunset Crater is a cinder cone and lava fields created by volcanic eruptions over the last 6 million years. The crater is part of the San Francisco Volcanic Field in the Coconino and Kaibab National Forests. This area is riddled with hundreds of volcanoes and makes for some interesting geologic viewing. Here are just a few pictures.



Photo copyright: Janet Kincaid, 05/09

4 comments:

marley said...

The power of nature is just amazing.

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh, I had no idea Arizona was capable of this much beauty!! And I never would have found out if I hadn't seen your pictures. I'm glad you went.

-Phoebe

Virginia said...

Your photos are just great J. Take a bow!

Janet Kincaid said...

Marley: Isn't it, though?


Phoebe: I had no idea either. I thought it was all desert and cactus, but, in fact, it's not. Sedona is breathtaking and Flagstaff is in the mountains, which are beautiful. Arizona is full of surprises!


VJ: Thank you! I'm bowing...