Friday, November 21, 2008

Glass Homage


When I started taking photos and doing this blog, I never imagined that I would end up liking cemeteries. Turns out, they're quite fascinating and full of unexpected beauty despite being a little creepy and strictly focused on those who have departed this earthly abode. These photos are just two examples of the stained glass in crypts at Rock Creek Cemetery.



To see a few more examples of some of the beautiful stained glass to be found in Rock Creek Cemetery, please visit Standing Room Only.


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 11/08

4 comments:

Bob Crowe said...

You're right - these crypts are the best. You can't find this kind of cemetery just anywhere. As you show here, the disused ones with elaborate stained glass can be the most haunting.

Anil P said...

Beauty in the silence.

Maya said...

Oooh, nice stained glass! I like cemeteries. A friend of mine uses them to come up with names for her stories. I think that is a great idea!

Janet Kincaid said...

Bob: I think you're right. Cemeteries like this are a dying (no pun intended) art and space. So many cemeteries are going to flush headstones, because it's easier to maintain the grass, etc. But they're so generic and uninteresting that way. I think, when I die, I want to be buried in a cemetery like this with a cool headstone or crypt.


Anil: Yes, isn't it?


Maya: Thanks! I've heard of mystery writers doing the same thing as your friend. It's a great source for names!