Sunday, January 6, 2008

Two Things Challenge: Home / Health

Family pictures and mementos

As with the last several challenges, I've tried to find subjects that are a little atypical or unexpected. I'm not sure I succeeded this week, but here's what I have.

Home: This is the etage in my room. It contains photos and mementos that are significant to me. Everything on here is representative of my family and my grandparents. For me, family is home. From left to right (top): An oil can I inherited from my paternal grandmother, who inherited it from her parents; a picture of Gram, quilting; a picture of my dad, his mother (Gram), and his late brother; a jar of Austrian jam and a tin from my travels in Austria.

From left to right (middle): A picture of me, my cousins Kathy, Arlene, and John, and our late grandfathers, taken at Thanksgiving some nine or ten years ago; my late maternal grandfather and his four daughters (my mom and her three sisters); a picture of my brother, sister, and me. I was about 10, my sister was 5, and my brother about 3; snapshot of my maternal grandparents a few months before my grandmother died. My grandfather is hamming it up with his false teeth. Taken more than 20 years ago.

From left to right (bottom): A picture of my maternal grandfather's funeral and all of his grandsons as pall bearers. Taken almost two years ago; some porcelain pieces my maternal grandmother painted, as well as a mug she helped me paint when I was 12 or so and spent a couple of weeks with them in Wyoming; a picture of my grandfather as a soldier in WWII and a portrait of my grandmother taken during the war; a model train my dad and grandfather made one year when he stayed with my parents. He made 20 of them--one for each daughter and one for each of his grandchildren.

Hanging from the etage is an origami ball my sister made me.

Doctrine & Covenants 89:18-21: Mormons' code of health

Health: As a student of world religions, I'm fascinated by the sociological impact of faith in daily life. Many religions have health codes that dictate everything from what can and can't be eaten to what materials can touch the skin to how foods should be prepared. Jews keep kosher, while Muslims keep halal. Hindus don't eat beef, while pre-Vatican II Catholics eschew the same on Fridays and opt for fish. Most of these codes are canonized in scripture or sacred writings.

In the Mormon Church, members adhere to a code of health called "The Word of Wisdom." It prohibits the consumption of black tea, coffee, alcohol, and tobacco. It encourages moderate consumption of meats and recommends a focus on grains and vegetables. And, contrary to popular belief outside the church, Mormons can and do drink caffeinated beverages. I chose the last three verses in Section 89 of the church's modern canon, The Doctrine & Covenants of the Church, which promises those who adhere to the Word of Wisdom health, wisdom, knowledge, and strength.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 1/08

5 comments:

Bobbie said...

D.C. You have dug deep to find the things have meaning for you, and I like that. I knew that Mormons focused on healthy vegetarian type foods but did not know why until today. I enjoy your blog very much and look forward to your posts.

Anonymous said...

I do really appreciate your message to our modern age "mass" who believe in schemes like term life insurance and are unable to discover the right treatment for them. In my opinion you are healed as soon as you find the faith and wisdom in yourself.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Interesting post DC. I am both gluten and lactose free due to allergies and I am postive that the sharp rise in people with food allergies has to do with the rise in chemicals used in food production.
I like the fact we could see the pink highligter through the pages, it shows this book has been read and isn't just a convientant prop.

I also like your home post, interesting to see you collection of treasures and and learn about them. I love that origami ball and the oil can! Portrait photography sure has changed over the years...good post!

Janet Kincaid said...

Bobbie: Thank you! I have fun participating in these challenges. It forces me to stretch a little.

GB: Interesting concept.

Lisa: I don't remember folks having this many allergies when I was growing up. It's just astonishing. And so unnecessary, it seems. One of these days, I want to live in a house with a plot of land where I can grow my own veggies in the summer and then eat what is only typical for winter. (Cherries from Brazil in December is not what I consider "typical." Cherries in July from California--that's typical for this side of the equator.)

dianeclancy said...

Hi DC,

This is a wonderful post ... thank you for sharing so deeply your own home and health!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog