Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Photo of the Year

Lotus Blossom and Bumblebee, Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens

There are photography bloggers all over the world who participate in a "Daily Photo" group. They take and post pictures from their daily comings and goings and post once a day. (Seems pretty obvious, right?) Some of the photos are really extraordinary, while most are just common, every day, typical stuff you'd see around town. I'm not sure what the rules are; that is, if you can only take one picture and then you have to post only that picture or if multiple pictures can be taken and then you choose one. Regardless, they're out there. (In my links on the left, I feature Silver Spring Daily Photo, because I live just across the border in D.C. from Silver Spring.)

On the first of every month, these DPs have a theme they shoot and post on the first day of the month. I don't know who picks the theme or if they vote on it. (Can you tell I'm woefully ignorant about the whole DP thing?) For January, their theme is "Photo of the Year 2007." They each chose the photo they took last year that they liked best. All of this is a long winded way of saying, here's my photo of the year.

I've really enjoyed all of my picture-taking adventures since acquiring my little point-and-shoot for my birthday in May. It may not be the fanciest camera nor the most technologically sophisticated, but I've been amazed at some of the images I've captured and the tricks I've learned (mostly by utter dumb luck and error.) My goal, by the end of this year, is to take a photography class and upgrade to an SLR.

As for my photo of the year: I took this at the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in southeast D.C. I'm especially proud of this picture because it wasn't easy to take. This lotus blossom stood a good six inches higher than me and was about two feet away. I literally teetered on the edge of the lotus pond and leaned over as far as was reasonably safe to snap this little beauty. The added bonus was the bumblebee over the blossom. Nature couldn't have been more cooperative if I'd been God Herself!

Happy New Year, friends and fellow photographers! And thank for sharing with me your world as seen through your eyes. And thank you, especially, to those who have ventured over this way and left comments. You're my inspiration to continue generating eye-worthy images. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Here's to 2008 and many more marvelous images!

8 comments:

Bobbie said...

I LOVE this photo of the year! Your little point and shoot does wonderful. The bee hoovering in the air is amazing as is the black water and pink blossom. Would you share with us the brand and model of your camera?

Janet Kincaid said...

Bobbie: Thank you! I'm using a Canon A630, which was recommended to me by a friend. It's a great little digital camera and I'm really enjoying it. The nice thing is, I can just slip it in my pocket and go.

Debi said...

HOLY SMOKES! That is an amazing picture, D.C.! God herself was indeed smiling down on you when She added that bumblebee for you. And of course it is perfection (since it is from the Divine) in its position just about to land in the center, and with its wings buzzingly blurred.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Yes it is a lovely photo! The type of photo that gives you such a buzz as a photographer that you know undoubtedly that the risk of falling in the pond was well worth it.
Your camera seems to be doing the job nicely! I;m using a Sony Cybershot which I have had for 3 years now. It's had a lot of use and been dropped a few times (arrgh!) and mostly it's still going strong. Starting to get a few spots in my photo's now. What I am finding is that I have outgrown the camera! I'm limited by the 15cm macro and 3x optical zoom. I'm hoping for a new one this year too, another Sony Cybershot but with more options. Great camera's. good luck with getting yours!

Anonymous said...

Debi: Thank you for the compliments! Come from you, that means a TON. Taking this photo was one of my all time highs this past summer. And, of course, when you're looking at it initially on the tiny little LCD screen on the camera, you can't appreciate what you've captured. When I loaded this photo onto my MacBook, I was shocked and thrilled with the outcome!

Lisa: You're totally right. Creating an amazing photo is a total buzz! I'm loving it! And the pictures you turn out with your Sony CyberShot are really incredible. Here's to you new upgrade in the new year!

Lara said...

Happy New Year! A wonderful photo to start with!

Janet Kincaid said...

Lara: Happy New Year to you, too!

Anonymous said...

I can see why this would be your favorite photo..it is truly flawless..right down to the tiny bumblebee.