Sunday, December 23, 2007

Two Things Challenge: Sweet / Star

Starry, starry night or just a jumble of Christmas lights? You decide.

Homemade Black Forest Cherry Cake: Shhhh-weeet!


Boy, the holidays can be rough! And this year seems especially harried. This week's Two Things Challenge is Sweet and Star. Here are my interpretations of both of those.

Star: The first picture is a portion of a larger picture I took the other night while waiting for my mom. In its larger format, it wasn't that interesting, but when I cropped it, it acquire sort of a stellar character. Plus, I'm learning how to adjust my apertures on my wee little digital camera, which allows for more flexibility in night/low light photography. (Just one more reason why I need to upgrade to a digital SLR and finally take a photography class, which I've been hankering to do since high school.)

Sweet: The second picture is the dessert I made for our traditional Christmas dinner. Our ancestors are German, so every Christmas Eve, my family has Roladen, mashed potatoes and gravy, buttered cabbage and carrots, homemade crescent rolls, and Black Forest Cherry Cake. This is the first time I've ever made it. Not my finest example of baking, but a fair start.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 12/07

7 comments:

Bobbie said...

I'll have a slice of that cake. It looks wonderful! Nice entry for the 2 things challenge!

Janet Kincaid said...

Bobbie: There's plenty left over. Come on by!

Debi said...

I wondered who was going to post something good to eat for the Sweet part of the challenge. And what a sweet thing you've done! Your first attempt? Looks to die for.

I'll update the 2 Things with your entries. I guess I was in the Christmas spirit of getting everything "done" and got carried away a bit early. Indeed, I thought to myself, hey no entry from D.C. this time. Glad I was wrong.

Even without SLR you take fascinating pictures with lots of interesting information.

Merry Christmas (to D.C. from D.C.)!

Anonymous said...

Debi: Glad you caught these. I'd been waiting all week to make and then take a picture of this cake! I'm going to have to attempt this dessert again since I didn't get it just right.

Merry Christmas to you, too, D.C., from D.C.!

Bev said...

Love the stellar lights. Also that cake looks very sweet indeed, and cery lavish, just like waht a cake sound be.

dianeclancy said...

These are fun entries for the sweet and star challenge!! Great fun ...

star sure does look like a galaxy though I bet it is lights ... and I will be over for some of that cake!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Anonymous said...

Bev: The cake was rather lavish! There was still some left yesterday, though I think my dad finally finished it off...

Diane: The faux constellation is, in fact, merely a bunch of Christmas lights. I loved taking this picture and playing with it. As for the cake, you'd have been welcome. The next time I make one, I'll let you know so you can come on over and have a piece!