Monday, May 18, 2009

Europe Confidential?!?!

Hiking the paths at the base of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park last Wednesday, my cell phone rang. On the other end, a contact of mine at a client I have at a multi-national, intergovernmental agency. Would I be interested, she asked, in coming to Geneva, Switzerland, ASAP for at least a month or more to be an on-site editor and writer for them?

Um. YES!

Problem, though. I was still nearly 1,000 miles from my final destination and my passport was expired. The result: we spent Monday in San Francisco having my passport expedited, then finished driving up to Langley, Washington. I arrived Friday night (May 15) and am trying to get some of my boxes unpacked while also trying to pack for a six week stay in Geneva.

I'm bummed not to be starting my Whidbey Island Confidential blog and I still have five or six posts to put up on my D.C. Confidential blog finishing up our road trip across America. On the other hand, I'M GOING TO GENEVA, SWITZERLAND! Yoda-lay-hee-hoo!

So, I'll be blogging from Geneva and photographing life in Switzerland, France (where I'll be living), and any other countries I happen to visit during my days off. Stay tuned...

11 comments:

marley said...

Talk about a road trip! I think you've proved your point now! Lol!

Seriously though - have a fantastic time. Keep us posted and don't forget we want to see the final leg of your USA roadtrip (if you get time!) :)

Miranda McAfee said...

How fantastic! Have so much fun. I can't wait to see the images you post.

Merisi said...

Congratulations! :-)

Incredible things happen when one gets moving, or so it looks. Good luck and the best of time in Switzerland!

Cele said...

I am looking forward to your Switzerland pictures, I've never been there. Wow.

pierre l said...

Good for you! I remember that when I worked in Paris we had an office in Annemasse. Enjoy your stay and eat well.Looking forward to lots of photos.

Virginia said...

I'm so excited that we'll see each other again in Paris. You didn't tell me you'd be living in France. UH WHERE??? I'll email our address and cell number. PHOTO SHOOT/Paris here we come.
V

RoeH said...

It's said somewhere not to covet. Well boohoo on that. I'm so jealous I'm about ready pack and come with you. I ache to see that part of the earth. I've read this three times and I still want it.

Ahhhh.........:)

Rob said...

Wow, when you hit the road, you hit the road flying! Not to worry about not catching up with your posting at present. This is a once in a lifetime event that can't be missed! This is still part of your journey; taking a detour path before returning home and finishing the road trip.

Good luck, I'm happy and excited for you!

Janet Kincaid said...

Marley: I know. I'm such an over-achiever. LOL! Hey, if I make it to the UK to visit a friend who lives near London, any chance of us meeting up? Perhaps we could plan a blogger meet-up...


Miranda: Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.


Merisi: Danke Schoen. I might be making a trip to Vienna to visit some friends. If I do, I'll let you know and perhaps we can do a photowalk together.


Cele: I'm looking forward to them, too! ;-) Funny thing is, when I was a kid, I wrote a report about Switzerland, but have never been there. Seems life is coming full circle.


Pierre: The challenge will be trying not to eat too much! I've finally managed to lose some much-needed-to-be-lost weight and don't want to regain it. I'll just have to avoid the spaetzle I guess!


VJ: I'm hoping we can make that happen, too! How fun will that be? I have your email with information and you have mine, right? See you in Paree!


Lucy: Come on along and join in the fun!


Rob: Thank you so much! Though I have to say, when I heaved (hoved?) my suitcase into the car yesterday, I had flashbacks to the road trip. I think it will be several months before I catch up on my sleep and feel settled. But the adventure! Oy!

Tash said...

Wow & wow! That it totally fantastic! I'd say you are so lucky but I know it's your talent & hard work that is responsible for the opportunity. It will be soooooo fun to see your photos. Can't wait.

Ron Bloomquist said...

I'll be watching!!!