Friday, May 8, 2009

Yosemite Confidential

El Capitan and Bridal Veil Falls across the Merced River
(Click image to enlarge)

I was born in California and, as an adult, I lived in the Bay Area for nearly eight years. In all that time, though, I never traveled to Yosemite. Rather than head straight for the coast when we left Bakersfield, we headed inland and up the Central Valley through the heart of California's agricultural center and into Yosemite. If you haven't been to this national park, it's a must! It was almost as awesome as the Grand Canyon. My recommendation: go in the spring before Tioga Pass opens and before the place is overcrowded with tourists and campers. There were a lot of people while we were there, but not nearly as many as there will be in a few weeks. I definitely plan to go back here.




Photo copyright: Janet Kincaid, 05/09

6 comments:

marley said...

Super photos. The waterfall ones are particulary good! Looks like a great place to visit, stunning scenery.

Cele said...

I've not been to Yosemite since I was a kid. And ya know Ducky's never been there. I'm going to have to buy a trailer and take a vacation. Thank you for the reminder.

Janet Kincaid said...

Marley: Yosemite was quite breathtaking from the valley floor. If you and Mrs. Marley ever come to the States, add it to your list of must-sees.


Cele: I think you need to cajole Ducky into a road trip. I'd be happy to come along as your driver and cheerleader!

Miranda McAfee said...

Janet, this looks like it has been quite the fun road trip. I have to agree that Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places. I lived in Sacramento for 5 years and didn't venture down there until my last few months in the area... oh how I wish I would have gone sooner so I could have gone back often.
Have fun in San Francisco. A place I also love and miss.

Maya said...

I agree. It was awesome! Great shots. I think our picnic there was one of my favorite moments from the trip.

Janet Kincaid said...

Miranda: I know what you mean. I grew up in Utah and had never been to the Grand Canyon until this trip. What a mistake! Same goes for Zions, Bryce, and Arches National Parks. Still need to see those.


Maya: Aside from cutting open my thumb, that was my favorite part, too.