Thursday, February 12, 2009

200

Lincoln--Preserver of the Nation

Today is the 200th anniversary of the birth of America's most loved president, Abraham Lincoln. My favorite memorial in all of Washington--and perhaps even the United States--is the Lincoln Memorial. Anchoring the west end of the National Mall, this temple to our 16th president is inspiring.

Statue of Abraham Lincoln in the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol

Lincoln busts in the U.S. Capitol. On the left, as a young representative from Illinois and
on the right, as a wizened president of a nation divided and reunited.

The Lincoln Memorial isn't the only monument or homage paid to the Great Emancipator in the Federal City, though. In the U.S. Capitol, there is a statue of Lincoln in the Rotunda and two busts--one of a young Lincoln, the other of a much-aged Lincoln.

Lincoln in Profile

For additional information about Lincoln at D.C. Confidential, go here. Click images to enlarge, if you'd like!

Upon his death, Edward Stanton, Lincoln's Secretary of State,
proclaimed "Now he belongs to the ages..."


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 02/09

13 comments:

RoeH said...

I was watching Looking for Lincoln all through the night on PBS last night. This guy intrigues me beyond measure. His eyes are mesmerizing. So much about him I want to know.

Virginia said...

What a wonderful collection you have put together for us. Bravo.
Virg

Knoxville Girl said...

these are all really good, and the one that still make me gasp whenever I visit your blog is your banner with his mighty hand illuminated.

Miranda McAfee said...

Beautiful series of work!

Anonymous said...

The Lincoln Memorial at night is one of Washington, DC's best photo opportuniies.

With the 200th anniversary of his birth this week, and all the Lincoln-related activities at Ford's Theatre and the Library of Congress, I think we can all agree, that he was one of America's greatest presidents.

marley said...

Ooo, I like the last one!

Rob said...

And on the history Channel, they are airing his Presidency. Excellent series!

The Artful Eye said...

Beautiful presentation of this great President. You've made an interesting figure more interesting with your unusual angles and light.

Those busts were spectacular in person.

Godinla said...

Cool dude.

God

Vanessa Bates said...

What a great tribute of sorts.

Maya said...

Happy Birthday Lincoln! These are all good shots, but I especially love the unique one at the bottom. The color and perspective are great!

Jane Hards Photography said...

These are tremendous images

Janet Kincaid said...

Wow! Go away for two days and come back to fabulous comments. Thanks everyone!


Lucy: I watched that, too. Didn't Henry Louis Gates' personalization of the program drive you a little nuts? I loved the information about Lincoln, but Gates just about drove me up the wall.


VJ: Thank you!


KG: Thanks! The banner photo is pretty popular. I've sold a few copies of that and hope to begin selling more as signed, limited editions.


Just M: Thanks!


Jon: I agree with you about the photographic quality of the Lincoln Memorial at night. (Frankly, it's great early in the morning, too!) I also agree that Lincoln was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, presidents ever.


Marley: Thanks!


Rob: I love the History Channel. "Where the Past Comes Alive!"


Andrea: I agree. The busts are definitely better in person than photographed. Sadly, they're sort of tucked away in obscure corners of the Capitol. Were it not for our tour guide, I think I would have missed them entirely.


GIL: Thank you.


Nessa: Lincoln is my favorite, so a tribute seemed fitting!


Maya: I like the one at the bottom, too. Seems a few others here do, as well. I didn't think it would be that popular. Just goes to show what I know!


Babooshka: Thank you!