Thursday, December 4, 2008

Vendor

Gastronomic wonders abound, sort of. If you don't mind indigestion, that is!

When you visit Washington, you have a number of options for cuisine. If you want to fork over the big bucks for a restaurant, there's no end to the possibilities. If you're down on the National Mall visiting the museums and such, your options are kind of limited. If you don't want to pay the high price for food in the cafes and restaurants in the museums, your only other option is to buy something from one of the many vendors that line the Mall on Pennsylvania, Constitution, and Independence Avenues.

While this photo is in black and white, if it was in color, it would show that this food vendor's trailer is yellow. The trailers in this size are all yellow, so you can't miss them. You also can't miss them if you're downwind! In this particular photo, the building behind the trailer is the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential

4 comments:

Virginia said...

Downwind from the EPA. THat 's a good one! These kind of places scare me.
V

Bob Crowe said...

The vendor serves a very international cuisine. Washington is a cosmopolitan city and this cart serves many tastes. Reminds me of the kosher hot dog and roasted chestnut vendors in NYC I liked so much.

I wouldn't have guessed the the building was the EPA - it's so much older than the agency. Do you know what it might have been in the past?

BTW, just found out I'm going to be out your way in the first couple of days of March - I'll have to say hello. I do some stuff for the Arthritis Foundation and there's an advocacy conference they want me to attend.

Maya said...

I like seeing the two roofs one behind the other. Polish sausage? mmmmm

Janet Kincaid said...

Virginia: ROTFLMAO! That is hilarious! I hadn't even thought of that, but you're so right. LOL!


Bob: If you're coming to D.C. definitely look me up! As for the food carts and trucks of D.C., I wish they were a little more international in their offerings. Of course, for foreign visitors, a half smoke is pretty exotic in a heart-burning inducing sort of manner. Regarding EPA, I don't know where they were previously, but I'll ask a friend who handles real estate at GSA and see what I can find out.


Maya: Thanks! Polish sausage is good, but I'll take hearty brat any day (with sauerkraut, of course!)