Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Traveling: Whidbey Island, WA

6:22 a.m. Departure : BWI

I've been lagging behind in responding to comments in last week's blog entries. My apologies for that, but my thanks to everyone who continues to stop by and read. My excuse? I was traveling and didn't have internet access for nearly four days! Last week, I spent five days in Washington State. My visit took me to Whidbey Island, Mukilteo, Seattle, and Ocean Shores. In all, I booked nearly 600 miles in ground and water travel, 6,000 air miles, and saw a beautiful part of the country. For the next few days, I'll be posting pictures from my trip.

Flying over the Golden Gate : San Francisco, CA
(Click image to enlarge)

Today's photos feature shots from the airplane, in airports, and on Whidbey Island. I'll stick to the captions on the first two, but note that my outbound flight commenced at Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport (BWI) and included a layover at San Francisco International Airport (SFO), hence the first two pictures. My final destination was Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), known as SEA-TAC.

Airport Art : SEA-TAC

The third photo is a piece of art in SEA-TAC in the United Airlines baggage claim area. The entire piece is constructed of reflector circles! SEA-TAC airport is full of some really fun art. Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of the artist on this one.

Towering firs : Langley, WA

My purpose for being in the Seattle area was to check out a business opportunity on Whidbey Island. One of the beauties of the Pacific Northwest are the abundance of coniferous trees. These ones are on the property of a friend who owns a home in Langley, WA.

Sunset : Freeland, WA

Finally, the first night I was on Whidbey Island, I drove up to Freeland. I had to pull off the road to take this picture of a lovely sunset. (Note to Virginia and Maya: No, I did not shoot while driving! Too dangerous on windy, twisty coast/island roads.)

Tomorrow: More about Whidbey Island, a bald eagle, and a lighthouse.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 12/08

11 comments:

RoeH said...

I love the northwest. I lived in Seattle twice and I could move back there in an hour if I could. The shot from the plane almost looks like a space shot. Pushing it I know, but it's beautiful.

marley said...

A west coast tour, of sorts, very cool! I like the shot of the Golden Gate Bridge. And the art work actually helps make an airport pleasurable!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I loved this virtual tour, so rich n colour.

Bob Crowe said...

I LOVE Whidbey. It manages to be both remote and accessible, every part filled with quiet beauty. I know you will enjoy the rest of your trip. And SeaTac has the best airport public art of any I've ever seen.

BTW, it's now certain that I will be in your area on Mon - Tues nights, March 2 and 3. Hope I can meet you.

Virginia said...

Well don't ask me to choose because I can't . Wow what gorgeous scenery and the plane shots were awesome too. And thank you for not drivin and shootin.
V

PS And I don't know about meeting up with Bob. He could be a serial killer. You never know with internet "friends"! HA

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I hope you get the job, whatever it is! Glad you're posting again.
-Phoebe

Janet Kincaid said...

Lucy: This was my first trip to the PNW and I was not disappointed! It's gorgeous!


Marley: Just think of it as a tour of the other Washington! And yes, art work in airports makes the wait considerably less painful.


Babooshka: Thanks! Come back tomorrow for more!


Bob: Whidbey was far more than I expected it would be. You're right about its remoteness and accessibility. I had visions of being on an island in the middle of nowhere, but it was actually quite the opposite. As for your trip to D.C., barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll be here and would enjoy meeting you.


VJ: I'm trying to be better about not shooting and driving. Glad you like these pictures. Wait until you see tomorrow's!


Phoebe: The job is mine, if I want it. The question is, do I want it? Stay tuned...

NG said...

Aw, I'm jealous. I really miss the Pacific Northwest.

Super amazing shots - especially the one on the plane!

Janet Kincaid said...

NG: I'd never been to the PNW before, so I was delighted. I have other shots of San Francisco I like, but only so much space, darn it all...

Maya said...

Isn't some of the art at SEA-TAC great? I've always liked it too. You captured it beautifully!

Janet Kincaid said...

Maya: It is! Makes me want to fly to SEA-TAC more often. I wish more airports would display art in them. It would make them so much more enjoyable.