Monday, December 1, 2008

Neon Beauty

The Lee Building
: Corner of Colesville Road and Georgia Avenue :
Silver Spring, Maryland

A few evenings ago, I was out and about in downtown Silver Spring. The older part of downtown has some wonderful art deco architecture and the Lee Building is a wonderful example of a very retro look.


Not your boring elevator

A more contemporary neon construct can be found surrounding the elevator tower in the outdoor shopping plaza.


Spectacular Sale on Spectacles

This sign was in the window of Hour Eyes, a purveyor of optometry and eyewear.


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential

12 comments:

marley said...

I really like neon and art deco. What more could I want?!

Great photos.

RoeH said...

Hey...I think I saw that building when I was there. Cool!

Virginia said...

As Ken Mac would say, "Neon lovers unite!". I think neon is hard to capture but you did it. Great shots DC!

Janet Kincaid said...

Marley: Um, a house built in art deco and decorated by neon? :-)


Lucy: Probably. I think your daughter works very near here.


Virginia: I feel like I totally lucked out on these shots. The first one I'm especially happy about.

Wayne said...

The Lee Building shot is a gem D.C.

Anonymous said...

Nice set of images.

 gmirage said...

Oooohh. lovely display!

Janet, I was here looking for your post that you told me to check, can find it though...sorry was out into the woods, lost to tracking your url the past days =( Hope you enjoy your week...

Janet Kincaid said...

Wayne: Thanks! I like it, too.


John: Thank you. Silver Spring's downtown is so great for this kind of thing, as you know only too well.


Mirage: Thank you! The entry in question with the article I wanted you to check out is here. Scroll to the bottom of the entry and you'll see a link to a recent Washington Post article about Vienna.

DeniseinVA said...

Those are great photos.

Janet Kincaid said...

Denise: Thank you!

Maya said...

Ooooh, all great shots! I'd love to ride in that elevator!

Janet Kincaid said...

Maya: Thanks! Oddly, I haven't ridden that elevator. Must correct that, I suppose!