Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tudor

A view of the altar from the choir loft

As I mentioned in yesterday's introductory post about St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in the heart of Petworth, the architectural style is Tudor. According to Wiki, Tudor style and architecture "is the final development of medieval architecture during the Tudor period (1485–1603) and even beyond, for conservative college patrons. It followed the Perpendicular style and, although superseded by Elizabethan architecture in domestic building of any pretensions to fashion, the Tudor style still retained its hold on English taste." Not being versed in English history, all I can tell you is the Tudor period fell during the reign of Henry the VII and faded around the time of Elizabeth the I.


Two different perspectives of the altar.

Today's pictures feature a variety of views of the high altar in St. Gabriel's. Shooting photos in churches is always a fun challenge, because there's so much to capture. Given the simplicity of the Tudor style in this church, it was a little easier to focus on four or five elements in the sanctuary. The altar was just one of a few I chose.

A view of the altar from ground level at the entrance of the sanctuary.

In addition to these photos, please visit Standing Room Only to see pictures of some of the stained glass windows in St. Gabriel's.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 10/08

8 comments:

Virginia said...

DC,
These are just wonderful . You have captured the beauty and simplicity of this lovely old church. You've inspired me to take the time to photograph my beautiful church this week. My favorite is the view down the aisle where I assume you were lying down again!HA I know you plan to share these with priest and congregation. What a gift for them to have.

Greyhound Girl said...

What a glorious building. And I love the view that you took laying down, with the beautiful blue light. Stunning.

You've inspired me to take pictures of an old catholic Church back home. I'll do it when I get there at Christmas!

Maya said...

These shots are amazing! What a beautiful church. There you go again, lying on the floor for great perspective. That shot is my favorite in this bunch!

marley said...

Very nice interior. Have you checked out my photos of the new use inside of a church?!

marley said...

Me again! Sorry, just rememberded you have! Excuse me, I've been out for a few drinks tonight!

Janet Kincaid said...

VJ: Photographing churches has become one of my favorite pasttimes, when I have time! As for Fr. Mateo and his parish, I promised him pictures and I've yet to deliver! Note to self: Burn a CD ASAP!


Prof: I should clarify. I don't actually lay on the ground, though it does look like it. I have a six inch tripod I use, that way I don't get all dusty and dirty! :-) Can't wait to see the pictures you'll take of your local Catholic church when you're home.


Maya: Yeah, me and that floor thing again. Not sure what's up with that. Three words: Six inch tripod. (Why do I have a feeling people aren't going to believe me on that one?!)


Marley: Thanks! I did see the pictures of there repurposed church on your blog. I thought they were fabulous! As I mentioned there, perhaps I'll recommend to Fr. Mateo that he open a pizza stand in the back. There use to be a bookstore in the baptistry, but he took that out and made the baptistry, well, a baptistry again. Go figure!

Anonymous said...

i really like these, they're beautiful!

Janet Kincaid said...

B.C.: Thanks!