Sunday, August 3, 2008

Two Things Challenge: Up / Down

Up : The Exorcist Steps are not a light climb

This week's Two Things Challenge was Up / Down. I chose as my subject "The Exorcist Steps" in Georgetown. This steep flight of stairs was featured in a scene in the 1973 film The Exorcist, based on the novel by William Blatty. The steps are located at the end of M Street and the beginning of Canal Road where both branch off onto the Whitehurst Freeway. This spooky staircase is adjacent to an old car barn from the days when D.C. had a street car system.

Down: About halfway up, this is the view from the Exorcist Steps.
In the background: Whitehurst Freeway, Key Bridge, and Crystal City.


Climbing the steps will result in two things: First, you can say "Feel the burn!" as your calves and lungs scream for mercy, and second, when you arrive at the top, you'll find yourself at Prospect and 36th Streets NW. Hook a left, walk a couple more blocks, and you'll find yourself at Georgetown University. I'll be featuring pictures of that storied, Jesuit school in a few days.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 08/08

8 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is a fascinating post. Scary film. Marvellous images, and so perfect in b&w.

Virginia said...

Girl, you are on it today! Great stairway shot. I would hang this one on my wall. I STILL haven't seen the Exocist all the way through. I am dork about scary movies. Oh well.

Janet Kincaid said...

Babooshka: Thanks! I have to confess: I haven't seen the film. I guess I should add it to my Netflix queue.

Virginia: Thank you. I should walk these stairs at night. They're not very spooky in the sunlight! LOL.

Maya said...

Great job on the challenge! Really nice shots. So, who needs a stairmaster? ;-)

Janet Kincaid said...

Maya: Thanks! I think if I lived at the top of Prospect Street, I'd try to walk up and down these stairs at least once a day.

Rob said...

Fantastic post! Perfect in B&W to go with that film. What a memorable stairway.

Greyhound Girl said...

Great post! and I love both pictures- B&W is my fav medium... makes it even scarier!

Janet Kincaid said...

Prof: I should probably go back at dusk or at night and shoot these stairs again. In the daylight, they're sorta benign. Of course, I'm probably naive in saying that since I've never seen The Exorcist. I'm sure I'd change my mind once I'd seen it and these steps would freak me out in the daytime!