Monday, August 25, 2008

Two Things Challenge: Hard / Soft

The Hard Rock Cafe next door to Ford's Theater

This week's Two Things Challenge is Hard / Soft. Coming up with something for hard wasn't too difficult. Any number of the marble and granite buildings in this city would have worked, but I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. So, I went downtown the other evening, after taking pictures at the airport, and snapped this photo of the Hard Rock Cafe. This chain is located next door to Ford's Theater, where President Lincoln was shot on April 14, 1865. Here's a sad anecdote: I've actually had guests with teenagers who get upset if their parents don't take them to the cafe, but they couldn't care less about seeing Ford's Theater.

Soft, fluffy clouds

Soft was a little tougher. I was getting desperate and was going to post a picture of the cat, but I did that a few weeks ago. Instead, I decided to go with clouds. They're fluffy and soft, right? And there you have it!

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 08/08

9 comments:

Virginia said...

Great Two Things this week. It makes me sad about hte Ford Theatre too. This week stumped me too.. See tomorrow's post, a stretch by any means.

PJ said...

I like your literal interpretation of hard. What I find sad is that it's next door to the Ford Theater. What were they thinking?
Your soft shot is a gorgeous sky-graph (I'm a devoted Sky Watch Friday memer). I love this straight up shot.

Maya said...

Oh, that story is so depressing! I like the clouds photo. So fluffy and soft you just want to take a nap in them!

Janet Kincaid said...

VJ: Yeah, the Fords Theater thing make me sad, too, and just a little angry.


PJ: I don't know what the parents are thinking letting their kids have a tantrum about whether they'll get to go to the Cafe. And I don't know what the historic planning commission was thinking letting the business planning commission issue a license to put in a Hard Rock Cafe there.


Maya: Isn't it, though? Makes me want to slap some friends and their dumb kids. As for the clouds, I could have snuggled up for a nap right there! Instead, I was on my way to Mom and Dad's for Sunday dinner.

Bernie said...

I had no idea the Hard ROck was next door to Ford's. I went to a party at the Hard Rock a couple of eyars ago and I saw A Christmas Carol at Ford's 20 years ago and didn't put it together. I should pay attention to my surroundings. :)

Great photos!

Janet Kincaid said...

Bernie: Yep! True story. I was going to photograph Ford's Theater, but it's closed for renovation right now. It's a landmark that's a must-see in D.C.

Rob said...

Thats the hard and soft of it. I like this play on words, the search each week to come up with something clever, as you have done here. Dang, why didn't I think of Hard Rock Cafe?

Sadly, this is the sign of our times. Youth are more absored about the next party rather than learning something new.

Bev said...

A lot of people have gone for clouds this week. And I like your Hard Rock Cafe hard building too!

Janet Kincaid said...

Rob: I was so proud of myself when I came up with Hard Rock Cafe! It was one of my few moments of stunning brilliance! LOL.


Bev: You're right. Clouds did seem to be a dominant interpretation in this week's challenge. Good thing clouds are nice to look at, eh?