Friday, July 18, 2008

Campuses, Patriots, and Pirates... Oh My!

Fort Reno in the summertime (as compared to the late winter/early spring)

Yesterday evening, I decided I needed to get way out of my neighborhood and into a completely different section of the city. So, I went to Tenleytown/Fort Reno. My walk took me past sights that are familiar and iconic to Northwest city dwellers including: Fort Reno Park, WAMU 88.5 (if you like old-time radio, this is the station to listen to on Sunday evenings. They have a show called The Big Broadcast and they play Johnny Dollar, Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Five-Minute Mystery, and a host of other shows. It's a ton of fun to listen to.)


L: WAMU 88.5--Your NPR News Station in the Nation's Capital
R: Guapo's--the only decent, nearly authentic Mexican in the D.C. area


Guapo's, my favorite Mexican restaurant and the only decent Mexican food in the entire D.C. area (and I'm not exaggerating or engaging in hyperbole here either) is located in Tenleytown. This area is also home to American University, the Embassy of Japan, the Residence of the Ambassador of Sweden, NBC TV, the National Presbyterian Church, and Ward Circle.

The American University - Tenley Campus

Just by way of information, the American University was originally conceived by George Washington to be a national university in the nation's capital. In 1893, Congress finally passed an act creating a charter for the school. In 1896, ground was broken and fundraising started. Today, AU is among the premier universities in the city, competing with Georgetown and George Washington University as one of the finest institutions of higher learning on the East Coast.

L: Artemas Ward--patriot and congressman
R: Spire of the National Presbyterian Church


The National Presbyterian Church, as a congregation, is more than 200 years old. As a governing body, it is the national headquarters for the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. The campus of the NPC includes a children's school and a Center for Leadership. It houses a sanctuary, a fellowship hall, and the Chapel of the Presidents. I wasn't able to go in yesterday as it was after 6:00 p.m. when I walked by, but I'll certainly be going back. The NPC features some lovely gardens and eye-catching architecture, including several biblical quotes on walls surrounding the gardens and a fountain.

Ward Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts and Nebraska Avenues and signals the western boundary of AU. The circle is named for Artemas Ward and is capped by a statue of the same. Ward was a major general in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and served under Gen. George Washington. After the war, Ward served as a congressman from Massachusetts.

We Were Pirates performs at Fort Reno Park on a warm summer's evening

On my way back to my car, I walked again past Fort Reno Park and stopped for a little bit to listen to We Were Pirates. Fort Reno Park hosts a summer concert series with bands performing every Monday and Thursday. Here's the schedule, if you're interested. We Were Pirates sounded pretty good. I wonder if they're on iTunes?

To see more pictures of Tenleytown and some of the pretty stuff along the way, visit Standing Room Only.


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 07/08

5 comments:

Virginia said...

Well I feel like I have had a complete tour of D.C. and I didn't even have to get out of my nightgown! When does the next tour leave?

marley said...

Great selection of photos. it was worth getting out and about. I like the first photo and the one with the sun behind the building.

Janet Kincaid said...

Virginia: Oh, this isn't even a scratch tour of D.C.! The next tour leaves in a few hours, but Saturday's trip is out to Montgomery County, MD...


Marley: Thanks! I like the first photo, too. The tower is part of D.C. water reservoir system. Unfortunately, it's hard (i.e. nearly impossible because of security) to get any closer for a better photo than what you see here.

Anonymous said...

An interesting post. Nice photos.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Janet Kincaid said...

Abraham: Thanks!