Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Netherlands Carillon

The Netherlands Carillon:
A symbol of empowering the voiceless.


The Netherlands Carillon, a gift from the people of the Netherlands to the people of the United States, commemorates the liberation of the Dutch by U.S.-led Allied Forces in World War II. It rises on ground adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery and is a short walk from the Marine Corps Memorial.


One of two lions sculpted by Paul Koning
that guard the entrance to the carillon plaza.


In 1954, the carillon of 49 bells made its first temporary home in West Potomac Park and formally accepted by the United States that same year. In 1960, the present tower was built and the bells moved to its present site on the George Washington Memorial Parkway. In 1995, the Netherlands gave the U.S. a 50th bell to commemorate 50 years of post-war friendship and diplomacy. The carillon chimes daily from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Line of sight:
A view of Washington from the plaza of the Netherlands Carillon

(Click on image to enlarge.)


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 6/08

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do visit and I do comment and I was here. I did look at your picture(s) and I did read what you wrote about them. I could say how great you are and how beautiful your work is but alas I would soon run out of things to say on the next blog I visited, so I just left this to prove I stopped and said a few words on Sunday. Beautiful.

My Rheumatoid Arthritis hurts so I am using the same message for all.

Janet Kincaid said...

Abraham: Sorry to hear your RA is acting up, but glad you stopped by and left a note. Thanks!