Saturday, June 14, 2008

Kayakers

Kayakers drifting along near Roosevelt Island

As hectic as Washington, D.C., can be, there are opportunities for recreation that allow for a little bit of escape. Case in point: kayaking. These ladies are going for the relaxing, easy variety. Further up the river, there are falls and whitewater frequented by more adventurous kayaking types. Some folks choose sculling and all of the universities with rowing teams practice and race on the Potomac.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 6/08

5 comments:

marley said...

I had a go at this once. And once was enough! I got very wet :(

Hilda said...

I find it amazing that you have something like this in a city.

Metro Manila has a river, but it's too dirty to try to do anything in it. =(

Maya said...

This looks so nice and relaxing. I went kayaking once here and it was a lot of fun. I'll have to do it again!

The Artful Eye said...

Criminy! I've blinked and missed a slew of fabulous posts.
I'd be one of these kayakers.

Janet Kincaid said...

Marley: The key is to get a closed-hull kayak, avoid rushing water, and go for the leisurely type of trolling. Also, if you want to have a GREAT experience, book a full moon kayaking tour. Those are the best! They're amazing.

Hilda: The Potomac River--which stretches from West Virginia in the northwest all the way to the Chesapeake Bay in the south has many wonderful places to kayak with a variety of scenery. On July 4th, our independence day, hundreds of kayakers are in the river just below the National Mall to watch the fireworks! Perhaps you could start a movement to clean up the river in Manila.

Maya: Doesn't it, though? I love kayaking and don't do it often enough.

Andrea: I'd join you!