Sunday, May 4, 2008

Two Things Challenge: Smooth / Rough

Quiet Creek Becomes Swollen River After Rain

When I was out photographing spring flora a week or so ago, I took this picture of Rock Creek. It rained heavily for two or three days straight previous to this photograph. I thought it was a nice combination of this week's challenge: Smooth / Rough.


Rough all around!

Then on Friday, I was out taking pictures in East Potomac Park. The wind was brisk and whipping up the water on the Potomac River. I snapped this picture and liked its sort of Rothko-esque quality. Even more, I liked the roughness of the grass, the pollen in rough, tangled piles on the walk, the rustiness of the railings, and the turbulent water. Put another way: rough all around!

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 4/08

4 comments:

The Artful Eye said...

Nicely done! Rough all around, indeed a bit Rothko-esque.

Janet Kincaid said...

Andrea: Thanks! It's a bit more Rothko-esque in color, what with the green grass, brown-blue water, and pale blue, washed-out sky, but I liked it better in black and white.

Maya said...

I really like that top one for the challenge. It's always amazed me how water can be so calm and smooth and then turbulent and rough. You usually have this calm water right before rapids and have to be able to read the water when river rafting. Have you done it? Nicely done!

Janet Kincaid said...

Maya: I haven't river rafted yet. I kayak a little, but I'm not good enough to do white water. I hear the adrenaline rush is quite something, though! I love water for all the qualities you mention.