Thursday, May 29, 2008

FDR @ Night

A sculpture that captures Roosevelt's most famous communication method:
fireside chats broadcast on radios into homes of millions of Americans.


I've featured elements of the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial in a couple of other postings--water and a sculpture of men standing in a bread line. As I've mentioned before, this memorial commemorates the four presidential terms of FDR, who led America during some of its most turbulent modern history. Through the Great Depression and World War II, FDR is remembered with mixed emotion. Politics aside, this entry presents a few more of the sculptures and features in this unique memorial.

(L): Statue of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, an active proponent of the creation of the United Nations.
(R): Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his terrier, Fala.



Tactile experience: Columns and panels with bas relief friezes and Braille
so the blind can enjoy this monument along with the seeing.



Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 3/08

9 comments:

Sarah G said...

Another one of my favorite places!

Great photos!!!

Bobbie said...

I see that you have been very busy since my last visit. Your blog is becoming a monument to Washington and our country. Love it!

I love this last entry too, firstly because it contains your night photography and secondly because of the historical content. Keep 'em coming!

The Artful Eye said...

These are so wonderful. Why do I remember fireside chats? am I that ancient? aarrgghh...

There are so many things I want to see in D.C. now because of all your great posts. I need weeks to visit.

Janet Kincaid said...

Cowbark: Thanks!

Bobbie: It's always so great to see your comments! Glad you enjoyed this entry. I have fun with night photography, especially given the simplicity of my camera!

Andrea: Well, I'm not that old, but I remember the phrase "fireside chats." I think that's mostly because I have an interest in WWII.

The next time you come to D.C., you have to let me know so we can get together!

The Artful Eye said...

We are WWII history nuts also. Will definitely let you know next time I'm there.

USelaine said...

These are simply beautiful. I'm glad to see the influence of Eleanore honored as well.

Janet Kincaid said...

Andrea: I think I'm heading up to the Eastern Market this morning to take pictures of farm fare as part of the 2 Things Challenge! I'll be sure to holler a hello for you!


USElaine: I'm glad Eleanor is honored, too. She also has a statue in a niche at National Cathedral. I'll have to post a picture of that one day, too.

Debi said...

I can't get over that last shot. The composition is dead-on perfect. Love the light, love the rhythm, love the colors. Bravo!

P.S. I'd love to see more of the panels. What are they? Whatever they are, I'm intrigued. By golly, you are a one-woman tourism agency for DC.

Janet Kincaid said...

Debi: Honestly? Half my photos are pure, dumb luck. That last one would be a case in point.

As for the panels themselves, I'll have to go back with some of my new gadgets and take more detailed pictures.