Thursday, April 17, 2008

Two for One

I've already posted my entry for today, but spring has been so beautiful this year, I thought I'd share a little more of it. These are pictures taken at homes around my neighborhood. (Click on images to enlarge.)


In a few more days, the azaleas will be in full bloom, as will the dogwoods. I'll post pictures of those as I take them.


And, this makes me think I need to make a trip to the National Arboretum. They have an azalea trail that is suppose to be breathtaking!


I don't know what these little purple flowers are called, but I love them! If you enlarge the photo on the right, you'll notice that the center of the flower has a necklace of purple dots.

I happened to meet the woman whose garden this--and many other--beautiful flower was in. She told me, it's called a double daffodil because it has twice as many petals as a regular daffodil.



Even the dandelions are pretty, for a common garden weed and salad fixture!

And this last one, for luck!

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 4/08

12 comments:

 gmirage said...

Wow! What a colorful and lovely display, if I have no allergies I'll just stay near those flowers and stare! =) I love those blue ones which name I don't know =) I posted one earlier this week here. The lavander bed of flowers is also pretty...oh if only they don't make me allergic...

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Oh so very beautiful! Thanks for this wonderful gift of color and happiness, Janet.

marley said...

What a lovely selction of blooms. Spring at last!

Janet Kincaid said...

Gizelle: I always feel bad for people with allergies. Spring must be absolutely miserable for you and so many others. I've been pretty luck, so far, but I'm told the longer I live here, the less luck I'll have with each passing year!

Fenix: You're welcome! It's been breathtakingly beautiful around here. No doubt it will also be in Boston very quickly!

Marley: Yeah Spring!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Wow your blog is looking so amazing! I love all these flowers, I have to agree with FB!
Keep warm and keep snapping they are such a treat to see.
Lisa:)

Bobbie said...

Ahh spring, my favorite season. These flowers are so colorful. The purple flower is creeping phlox and I grow and love it too :)

Maya said...

I'm seriously ODing on the flower shots. Love them!!

Lara said...

what a gorgeous explosion of colour!

The Artful Eye said...

What beautiful flowers! I wish I could have a garden with all these beauties. Our climate is not conducive... luck be our ladybug.

I walked in the kitchen the other morning and on top of my vitamin jar was a large lady bug. I was so surprised to see her indoors. I gently placed her back in her rightful place.

Lovely images! Thank you.

Janet Kincaid said...

Lisa: Thanks! I'm enjoying myself, that's for sure!

Bobbie: I'm becoming a big fan of creeping phlox, especially as I'm looking to remodel the landscape in my yard, which is a barren, pathetic wasteland right now.

Maya: OD away! Although, if we find you passed out in the pansies or giddy in the tulips, who do we call to come and get you? :-)

Lara: Boom! It's like fireworks in springtime, isn't it?

Andrea: I wish I had a garden with all these beauties, too!

I think maybe I should have a contest on my blog: design my yard! It certainly needs some color like this.

Rob said...

Lovely flower gardens, they certainly brighten up the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for the name of the purple flowers you mentioned, and think I stumbled across it: they might be Phlox subulata, "Emerald Blue" variety.

Now, I know nearly nothing about botany, but thought I'd pass this information on.

And btw -- awesome and beautiful photography =)