Friday, April 11, 2008

Thunderbirds

The Thunderbird Marching Band from Timpview High School in Provo, Utah,
performing at the National World War II Memorial, Washington, D.C.
(To see larger photos, click on the images)


I spent my childhood and teen years growing up in Utah. Provo, to be exact. Not that I have any plans to live in Utah again, but I do keep up on the news from the Beehive State by reading the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret Morning News. It was in the latter the other day that I found an article announcing that the Thunderbird Marching Band from Timpview High School in Provo had been selected to march in tomorrow's National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. In addition to the parade, they're also performing at several other sites around the city this weekend.

Timpview H.S. marching band at the World War II Memorial
with the Lincoln Memorial in the background


I attended Timpview my freshman year of high school and likely would have graduated from the same if my family hadn't moved to Orem the summer of my sophomore year. While I made good friends at my new high school (Mountain View), my affections remain with Timpview mostly because all of the kids I grew up going to school and church with from the age of 3 until 14 were at Timpview.

Random shots of the Timpview High School Marching Band (click on images to enlarge)

That's a long way of telling you that this morning, I went downtown to the World War II Memorial on the National Mall to hear the Timpview Thunderbirds Marching Band perform! It was fun to see these young men and women, who were required to take a special history class at 6:15 in the morning for a semester and who had to memorize all of their musical numbers, play at this beautiful memorial. A special thanks to Dr. David Fullmer for requiring such high standards from these students.


Honoring and meeting the veterans of our armed forces.

A special hello to Kim Davidson, Julie from Bethesda, and all the other nice folks I met today at the World War II Memorial, as well as Parker Kelly and his mom, Kahliel.

Parker Kelly, who plays the baritone horn
in the Thunderbird Marching Band,
and his mom, Kahliel, at the end of the concert.


Congratulations, Thunderbirds! And enjoy your time in Washington and Gettysburg!


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 4/08

4 comments:

Jules said...

It is always good to touch base with our past hey???

Thanks for popping into rabaul to say hi.

Lara said...

these are such vivid photos! you had wonderful subjects!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. It was fund to see our kids there!

Janet Kincaid said...

Jules: It can be fun!

Lara: Thanks! They were a good subject.

David: You're welcome! It was fun to see these kids and see all the work and love they've put into their performances.