Saturday, April 19, 2008
Shrine of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Shrine of the Sacred Heart Church / Santuario del Sagrado Corazón (3211 Pine Street NW) has been serving the Mount Pleasant Catholic community and its neighbors for more than 100 years. The church provides services and masses in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and French and Haitian Creole, and confession in English and Spanish. (To see larger photos, click on images to enlarge.)
Originally, the parish church was located two blocks east on Park Road and 14th Street NW. This church at this location was established in the 1920s and was unofficially the dividing line between the racially divided factions of Washington in the 1960s, especially after the riots that ravaged the city following the assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, the church is administered by priests of the Franciscan Capuchin Order and serves a predominantly Hispanic demographic. On Sundays, the recreational area and street adjacent to the church hosts an open air flea market.
Across from the church is a statue of His Eminence James Cardinal Gibbon. Cardinal Gibbon was archbishop of Baltimore from 1877 until his death in 1921 and was the second Roman Catholic cardinal in North America. Born in Baltimore, Gibbon was raised in Ireland and in New Orleans before returning to Baltimore where he was ordained a priest in 1861. He published, among other books and tracts, The Faith of Our Fathers: A Plain Exposition and Vindication of the Church Founded by Our Lord Jesus Christ, a best-selling conversion pamphlet. Gibbon, who advocated for and was one of the founders, was the first chancellor of the Catholic University of America.
Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 2/08