Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Canaan Baptist Church

Canaan Baptist Church: Joy in Worshiping Together

Canaan Baptist Church (1607 Monroe Street NW) is one of the younger churches among the faiths found along 16th Street. The congregation and its members have been worshiping together and serving the community of Washington since January 1947 when a group of like-minded people of faith met in the home of Rev. M. Cecil Mills. According to the church's website, meetings were held in Rev. Mills' home and a good deal of time was spent praying and singing and hearing Rev. Mills preach.

In February of that same year, Rev. Mills and the men and women who had been meeting in his home decided to create a permanent organization. The gathering was inspired by the hymn "I am Bound for the Canaan Land" to call itself Canaan Mission and later changed the name to Canaan Baptist Church.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 2/08

2 comments:

Rob said...

I like this one a lot. This church reminds me of the Duomo in Assisi, Italy, St. Francis of Assisi. The gable end, rose window above the arched doorways and bell tower.

At least my memory serves me with this comparison. (And post 40, my memory isn't what it once was)

Janet Kincaid said...

Rob: Thanks! Interesting comparison. I've never been to Italy or to the Duomo, but based on pictures in Google Images, I'd say you're spot on with your comparison. I wonder if the folks at Canaan Baptist intended to create a likeness of the Duomo?