Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Azaleas Galore


White azaleas are the only ones that photograph well in black and white.
As for the other two pictures, I was going for an old, washed-out, antique look with these.



Azaleas in red. The variety on the left is named "Sambo" and is a deep maroon.
This photo doesn't do it justice. (None of these do really.)



Azaleas in oranges. These were some of the most stunning specimens in the collection.
The variety on the right is named "Great Balls of Fire"!



Azaleas in purples. In the photo on the right,
the azaleas are also complimented by wooden hyacinth.




Azaleas in groupings along sunny and shaded paths.

The azalea collection at the National Arboretum is currently at peak for many of the trees and bushes. If you get a chance, make the time to visit. And for those of you with allergies, just consider this blog a public service provided for your enjoyment without all the misery!

I think this is the last of the spring color I'll be posting. Honestly, you must be sick of it already!

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 4/08

5 comments:

Bev said...

These are lovely pictures and I have very much enjoyed looking at them.

Also I didn't know these were Azaleas, and I posted a picture of one on my blog as blossom, so a most informative posting too.lol

Janet Kincaid said...

Bev: I overheard some Brits at the arboretum referring to these as rhododendrons. Is that what you call them on your side of the pond? They are part of the rhododendron family. Anyway--I'm glad you've enjoyed this beauty.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Oh, Janet, what a delight! The Great Balls of Fire are stunning. Sigh. I wish I were there!!!

Janet Kincaid said...

Fénix: One of these days, you're just going to have to catch the train or get a cheap JetBlue flight and come down here with camera in hand!

I thought the Great Balls of Fire were best, too! In fact, I'm trying to acquire a bush for my yard!

Bobbie said...

I love the way the azaleas are incorporated into the logs. I must do this! Beautiful flowers.