Thursday, March 13, 2008

Scottish Rite 33'

Scottish Rite of Freemasonry--the national headquarters for the Supreme Council
(Taken at around noon on President's Day, 2008)

Several weeks ago, I featured photos from the Masonic Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia. Masonic temples are not an uncommon sight in the D.C. area. On the corner of 16th and S Streets NW stands an imposing structure: The Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Supreme Council 33’ (1733 16th Street NW.)

Sunday afternoon warmth at the Scottish Rite Temple

The cornerstone was laid in 1911 and the building was completed in 1915. It is the national headquarters of the Supreme Council and is an adaptation of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. The architect for the building was John Russell Pope who also built the Jefferson Memorial and the west wing of the National Gallery of Art.

Scottish Rite Temple at night (taken at midnight, to be precise)

The building is open to the public for guided tours. Unfortunately, I have yet to go inside. When I took the first picture, it was closed for President's Day. The second picture was taken on a Sunday and they were closed. And the third picture was taken after midnight. Obviously not open then either! However, you can take a virtual tour.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 2/08 and 3/08

5 comments:

 gmirage said...

Awesome! Both day and night! I haven't visited here recently and I missed so much! Will come back soon...see yah!

slim said...

I really like that you captured 3 very different lighting situations for this beautiful building. Sunday afternoon was my favorite ;)

You've got a great city to photograph . . . I followed your link from Quincy and glad I did.

Janet Kincaid said...

Gee: Same goes for me. I haven't been at your site for a while and I've missed it, too! I'll be back soon, as well. Glad you enjoyed these photos.

Slim: Welcome! I love Quincy Daily Photo. You folks take some lovely pictures of a town I need to visit one day. Glad you enjoyed these. The Sunday one is actually my favorite, too!

I keep thinking I should branch out more and take pictures of the day-to-day in the neighborhoods, but all of the more common sites around town provide opportunities that are too good to pass up.

The Artful Eye said...

I'm sorry I missed this building while in Alexandria. I took the virtual tour link and this temple is worthy of a closer look.

Janet Kincaid said...

AE: This building is in the District on 16th and S Streets NW. The George Washington National Masonic Memorial is in Alexandria. Just to clarify... Anyway--they're both interesting buildings. I've been in the one in Alexandria, but have yet to go inside this one on 16th Street. I'm hoping to do that in the next few weeks.