Monday, February 25, 2008

Two Things Challenge: Box / Car

A car in a box: some assembly required!

Survey says, this week's challenge was sort of harder than weeks' past. I confess, I thought it would be fun. Maybe I need to back off from the compound words for a couple of weeks! This week's photo is a box of Legos. One of many products, Legos has Racers. It comes in a molded plastic box with a top shaped like a tire and building blocks for a race car inside. This is the end result!

The earliest boxes were made from tin and steel and held everything from salt to tobacco.

Along similar lines, before boxes were made from paperboard and corrugated medium, products were shipped in canisters made of tin and steel. This is a replica of a Morton Salt Tin. I use it to hold all of my loose change (nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar coins. The pennies have their own tin.)

Just havin' fun with the theme! A toy car on the floor in the upstairs hall...

And then there are toy cars. This is one that's just sitting around the house. I thought it would make a fun picture on the hardwood floor in the upstairs hall. And voile!


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 2/08

12 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

The second photo is SOOOO cute!!! :)

(The answers to your questions:

Beautiful buildings, but what's with the plywood in the windows? I (I'm sure you've likely answered this and I just need to read the previous 20+ comments...)

Actually, no one else noticed! I really don't know, but there have been dozens of foreclosures in the Roxbury/Dorchester are in January. I wouldn't be surprised if those condos were among them. Or maybe the are being renovated.

In these buildings with rounded facades, do they normally have rounded glass in the windows?

Yes, they normally do. Flat windows make no sense at all.)

Cheers! :)

Bobbie said...

Good try anyway. Sorry I didn't participate, been busy and taking a little hiatus. I enjoy seeing what is on your bookshelf though :)

Rob said...

Box car, fun pics for this week. As a newbie, I'm learning the tricks of the trade. I think I took this a bit too literally.

Janet Kincaid said...

Fenix: Thank you! I always try to have fun with the weekly challenge.

Bobbie: I totally understand taking a hiatus. I've tried that a few times, too. (In my case, though, it never sticks.)

DL: Your entries were great! I loved that you used a cubicle to interpret "box" and I almost took a picture of my car, like you did, but I decided to play around a bit instead. As the saying goes, "There are no wrong interpretations." You can be as literal or wacky as you like! Hope you'll continue to participate.

Bev said...

Only joking, It is a Challenge, after all. We all rose to it.

Great entry. A good set of interpretations this week from a different compound word lol

Janet Kincaid said...

Bev: This one was a little tough, I admit! But, as you point out, everyone rose to the challenge. I especially enjoyed yours!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I like the clever reflection of the other half of the tyre lid. Well done! I have an 8 yr old boy so am familar with the racers!
I didn't think the challenge was too hard, although it helped to think abstractly! Thankd for organising them!

Janet Kincaid said...

Lisa: Funny thing is, I've never particularly cared for the high-gloss shine on my coffee table, but for this type of composition, it was perfect!

I loved your contributions to the challenge! One of these days, I really am going to get to NZ. And when I do, I'm going to want to see your end of the island (I finally looked it up on a map) and so many of the things and places you've photographed. You do Tauranga proud!

Rob said...

This is a lot of fun. Legos were my favorite toy growing up. hours of fun, but now they have racers??!! I'm thinking a trip to Target, my box needs a couple of these racers...for coffee breaks.

Janet Kincaid said...

DL: Oh yeah. A trip to Target is definitely in order. They have a blue Racer and a yellow one and a black one. Oh, the possibilities! (I had a hard time choosing.)

The Artful Eye said...

Great job! You posted Sunday as well. I posted my entry Sunday and deleted it. I thought it was too late. I should have kept it up there.

Janet Kincaid said...

AE: I always post my Two Things on Sunday. It's just easier for me. As for your interpretation, post it again and I'll add a link to it in this week's interpretation report. Your work is fabulous; I'd be sad to think we missed something worthwhile!