Thursday, February 28, 2008

Piney Branch

Westbound on Piney Branch to Beach Drive and Rock Creek Park

I've mentioned before that one of the quickest ways to get out of northwest Washington and into Virginia is via Beach Drive and Rock Creek Parkway. There are various roads that feed into both Beach and Rock Creek. One of them is Piney Branch Road. If you live below (south of) Missouri Avenue and above (north of) Massachusetts Avenue, Piney Branch is the best way to get to Beach Drive and, subsequently, to Rock Creek. It's also a good way to cut across the city on an east-west axis. Piney Branch jogs over to Porter Street, which leads to Connecticut Avenue on the western side of Beach Drive and Rock Creek.

Ironically, the name Piney Branch belies the reality of the tree varietals on this stretch. There are few coniferous (needle-bearing) trees. The majority of the trees are deciduous (leafy) trees. The contrast between summer and winter is pronounced. In a few months, this stretch and others like it will be a veritable jungle of green!

This photo was shoot through the balustrades on the 16th Street bridge over Piney Branch leading to Beach Drive.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 2/08

5 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

I love that photo.

Suezan Rimmasch said...

Janet,
That is an awesome photo. I enjoy chekcin out your work every day. I also enjoy the commentary.
Aunt Suezie

Anonymous said...

Fenix: Yeah! I thought this would be a much more interesting way to see Piney Branch than just leaning over the edge and taking a picture.

Hi Aunt Suezie! I'm glad you're enjoying this blog. I have a lot of fun putting it together. I think Mom enjoys it, too!

The Artful Eye said...

Great photo! I love when one is able to find another window to shoot through. It adds a sense of mystery. This reminds me of a puzzle piece.

Janet Kincaid said...

AE: Me too! And I like the idea of a puzzle! (I'd make it easy, though. Three pieces only! Could you imagine this as a 500 piece? Nerve wracking!)