Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Blue Skies

Winter blue with clouds under the Calvert Street Bridge on Beach Drive

One of the best ways to get from the northern end of D.C. to the downtown/National Mall area is via Beach Drive to Rock Creek Parkway. This was the view from my car the other day. As you reach the point where Beach meet Rock Creek, you pass under the Calvert Street and Connecticut Avenue Bridges. They form graceful arches over the roadway and provide a beautiful, manmade frame for nature.

By the way--on a different topic completely, it's 11:30 a.m. here in Washington and we're having a heat wave. The temperature right now: 71 degrees Fahrenheit/22 degrees Celcius. I wouldn't mind the heat so much if it wasn't humid, too. That's the part I can't stand: the humidity. Thankfully, by tomorrow we'll be back down in the 50s/10s and by Sunday it's suppose to be in the 30s/-1s!

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 2/08

4 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

It really is beautiful. Nice photo.

I wish we had a heatwave here and, yeah, sans the humidity, but that would be a true freak of nature.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

It looks to me like your looking at the moon from a mountain top vantage point at night and it has blue skies. Fanciful I know but that is what I see. Super beautiful! Enjoy your heat wave…We have nasty winds that will give you an ear infection just walking to your car;)

Lara said...

what a wonderful photo! comment on your comment: unbelievable! so you use to make wheat gum too! it was a plaseure for us as children to do that! cats related: grow some wheat in a small plastic pot, in a two fingers-thick layer of earth. let it grow for a while - they just love it! sometimes they even sleep in it, although that was NOT the purpose of the wheat pot!

Janet Kincaid said...

Fenix: It was so bizarre yesterday. I went out to run some errands and didn't wear a coat.

Niki: Interesting perspective! I had to go back and look at my picture to see what you described you were seeing and I have to say, what I saw through your eyes was quite cool! Very nice eye you have! As for the heat wave, it's over. Today, we're back down into the 50s. Yeah!

Lara: Thank you! And I think I just might have to make a wheat pot. Do you just use any whole wheat or is there a specific variety?