Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Vertical Lift: Part I

Columns at sunrise in the Lincoln Memorial

This is a series I'm starting on D.C. Confidential where I feature segments of monuments that use vertical planes and force you to look up. The most obvious would be the Washington Monument, of course, but I thought I'd start with something a little softer. These are some of the columns inside the Lincoln Memorial and are a continuation of the columns that surround the memorial on the outside. They were particularly striking the other morning as the sun was rising.

Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential, 10/07.

3 comments:

Lara said...

beautiful light! great way of capturing it!

Janet Kincaid said...

Sunrise at the Lincoln Memorial is best for this kind of picture. The memorial faces east and lends itself to great photography. Plus, it's my favorite monument in the whole city.

Debi said...

I've never been here, but this shot makes me FEEL like I'm there. I can hear footsteps, I am engulfed in the monumental size, and I can feel the warmth of the sunrise. Love this picture!

I've noticed several of your shots look like you get out first thing to get them. Smart one, you are.