Saturday, May 19, 2007

F.B.I. Flags

Flags Throughout History, The Federal Bureau of Investigation,
National Headquarters, 1001 Pennsylvania Avenue NW


First, a confession: I didn't take this picture today. I took it several days ago, when the weather was sunny and moderate. Unlike today, which was cold and overcast--odd for May, but not unwelcome. The picture I took for today didn't turn out as I would have liked, so I'm scrapping it for another day.

This is the outside of the F.B.I. Headquarters. Located just six blocks from the White House, the Bureau is home to America's federalized, domestic investigative agency. The F.B.I. was started in 1908 as a result of a conversation between Teddy Roosevelt and General Charles Bonaparte in 1892. Roosevelt became president in 1901 and, four years later, at the beginning of his second term in office, he nominated Bonaparte to be U.S. Attorney General. Bonaparte created a special corps of agents, drawing from the ranks of the Secret Service and police detectives.

Today, the F.B.I. has field offices in every major city in the U.S., as well as offices overseas. Among other domestic spy duties, they are charged with countering terrorism, though their competence at such endeavors has at times been overshadowed by spy scandals (Robert Hanssen) and technological glitches and misspending. They list Osama bin Laden as their Number 1 Most Wanted Man, offering a $25 million dollar reward for his capture--dead or alive. If you've seen that wily terrorist anywhere, called your local F.B.I. field office.


Photo copyright: D.C. Confidential (Janet M. Kincaid, 05/07)

2 comments:

Gunfighter said...

The FBI is also responsible for the investigation of bank robberies, kidnapping, and a whole slew of other federal crimes.

Oh, and you are lucky you weren't arrested for taking that picture, my friend.

(See my blgo tomorrow for the whys and wherefores)

GF

PS: Great seeing you last week... it was the high-point!

Janet Kincaid said...

Seriously?!? I could have been a arrested?! Crap. Well, I'll definitely be reading your blog tomorrow to find out how I've unwittingly broken what are, I'm sure, five kajillion unknown-to-the-average-American federal laws. Eek.